I’m skipping ahead to next Tuesday’s topic: Tips for Beginner Runners It’s been awhile since I started running (like 2008). I’ve learned a lot since then. And although I am not a certified coach, I have mentored and run with many beginner running groups.
So here are my favorite tips:
- Join a group or a class.
It’s much easier than going at it alone. You will make friends and a coach/mentor will help avoid form and training mistakes.
- If there is no class or group available to you, use the Couch25k app.
This app will guide through walk/run intervals and prepare you to complete a 5k.
- Sign up for a 5k race.
This will motivate you to do your runs and give you a goal.
- Buy good running shoes.
Go to a running store, if possible, try on a few shoes. Return the shoes if they are not comfortable (most stores will allow you to return your shoes.)
- Even a bad run is better then no run at all.
Runs that suck will happen. Forget and move on.
- Buy running clothes you look good in and that are comfortable.
I recommend breathable shirts and shorts/skirts with pockets.
- Running is not an excuse to triple your intake of doughnuts.
Yes, runners gain weight too. Try to eat a healthy snack (such as a banana) before you run and something with protein after (bagel, chocolate milk).
- Add other forms of exercise to your routine on days that you do not run.
This could be walking, biking, hiking, yoga, strength training,
- Don’t neglect and irritate your family and friends by spending all your time talking about running.
It’s only a small part of your life…though it may be one of the BEST parts.
Happy Running! What tips can you add to this list? Please share.