I was recovering from my half marathon this week and it was my first five day work week in a long time.
Yes, I normally work five days a week. But lately due to holidays and having to use up some vacation time (due to cancelled 2020 vacations), I have been only working FOUR days a week.
This has been really nice. I have gotten to do a lot of awesome hiking.
Last Week –
- Monday – Rest Day. Hoping my blister would heal so I could run soon. After a windy rainy night, the sun peaked out so I was hoping for a nice walk during lunch. As soon as I got out there, however, the sun went in and it turned dark and dreary. The good news was that my legs and foot felt fine. No lingering effects from the day before. Hooray!!
So I hit a local trail for a short one after work and continued in a lit neighborhood (Darn Darkness).
- Tuesday – A busy work day so no time to do anything until after work. I was trying to be good and take another rest day so I just walked at lunch. It was another cold cloudy day…craving some warmth and sun.
After work I squeezed in another walk on the trails… (Yes, I was tempted to run.)
- Wednesday – I woke up to snow on the ground. Glad that I didn’t plan to run or walk. Another busy work day but I decided that it was time to run again. I headed to the rail trail after work hoping to beat darkness.
- Thursday – Today I had time to run before work. But again, it was freezing. So I wimped out. Instead, I got out at lunch when it was a little warmer. And I decided to do my 2nd NYRR virtual 5k race. My legs were still recovering from Sunday’s hilly half but it got done.
After work, I met my BFF for a walk. Trying to stay outdoors but we were sooo cold.
- Friday – Another rest day with a short walk at lunch.
I took my usual longer walk with friends after work. Finally the temps warmed up a bit. It was great way to get rid of some of the COVID crazies.
- Saturday – Long Run Saturday. Back to the Zim Smith bike path so we could brunch outside at Leah’s. A similar scenario as previous Saturdays. I got there early to run a few solo miles and then was joined at points by 6 others (walking or running) for additional miles. In the end, I kept my 10 mile weekend long run streak.
- Sunday – Possible rain in the afternoon got me out early for a hike…colder and cloudy but still wonderful to be outdoors.
I decided to hike until it rained but I got lucky and got 8 miles on 4 different trails and never got wet. Unfortunately I like the last one best and I ran out of time.
In the evening, my mah jongg (that has been on pause since March) group celebrated our 12 year anniversary of playing together with a ZOOM chat (and take-out Chinese food). Can’t want to play again …. in 2021??
This Coming Week –
- Monday – run
- Tuesday – run
- Wednesday – rest day
- Thursday – HOLIDAY, NYRR virtual 5k, dinner with
- Friday – rest day, walk with friends
- Saturday – Long Run
- Sunday – rest day, hiking
I encourage you to do the same. Grab the graphic, drop your link on the host blogs and play along! Please be sure to always comment on the HOST’s blogs, as well as visit and comment on as many other blogs as you can.
Happy Running! How is your running going? Any “real” races yet? What did you do for Thanksgiving? Did you run a Turkey Trot? Please share.