13 weeks and still working from home. The word is that I will not return to the office until at least after Labor Day.
I bought a patio umbrella so I can sometimes work outside.
Continuing to look for new and interesting places to run or walk and practice social distancing. This week I re-visited some that I had already discovered.
The New Normal was running, walking, working ALONE and in isolation.
My LATEST New Normal is re-connecting with my friends – picnics, running, hiking, boating, eating. All with the appropriate safety measures. Humans are not meant to be “alone” IMO. (No judgment against those who still feel uncomfortable being around others. I am fortunate that my friends feel as I do.)
No races yet but I got two new bling items.
Last Week –
- Monday – Last week, it was 90 degrees one day. Today when I woke up it was in the 40s. I went for my pre-work walk wearing a sweatshirt!!
I had made plans to hike with a friend after work, so I squeezed in a 5k during my lunch break.
I have already hiked 31 places during this pandemic. One with the hubby but the rest all alone. More and more of my friends are open to doing things together (but 6 ft part lol). So my former teaching BFF agreed to wait until I was done working to do a short hike together. I returned to one of the first places I visited back in March. You can see from the pic on the left that it is a lot greener now. And it was so nice to have company … finally. On the way home, I stopped by one more trail (that I also have previously visited in March.).
- Tuesday – Another chilly morning and since rain was in the forecast for later, I had planned to run before work. I didn’t get up early enough so I settled for a neighborhood walk.
As they forecast, it was raining around lunchtime. I waited until it stopped and took a quick run around the neighborhood.
After work, I had a ZOOM video chat with some of my college friends. Always fun re-connecting with old friends (with whom I spent my junior year in Nice, France.)
- Wednesday – Global Running Day. It was no-brainer not to run at some point in the day. The challenge with working and the weather – WHEN?
I started the day with a neighborhood walk and photo session (see above) and as always looking for new flowers in bloom.
My running friends and I planned a short trail run for after work. Just in case it did rain then, I ran at lunch. I started in the neighborhood and then continued on the waterline going in the opposite direction from Monday. It started to rain (darn weather app) but stopped and then started and then stopped. Actually preferred it when it was raining because it was so muggy.
Phew. The rain had stopped by the time I finished work. We all met at 6 Mile Waterworks for a trail walk and then hung out (at a distance).
- Thursday – REST DAY. After 3 days in a run of running, I took the day off. That still meant a walk or three.
Before the last walk, I had my weekly picnic in the park with my tennis friends.
- Friday – REST DAY. Another day off from running because I planned a long run for the next day. Back to summer temps and HUMIDITY. Yes Holy Humidity…so glad to not run today. I was sweating on my walks (both before work and lunch were in my neighborhood due to time constraints.)
We had a huge thunderstorm when I finished with work. I had planned a hike 😦
Instead I went for a short walk in the park before I met a friend there for happy hour. And then it started to pour again. Luckily there was a nearby gazebo and we hung out there and chatted over wine.
- Saturday – LONG RUN DAY. There were thunderstorms in the forecast. But when I woke up it was sunny and no sign of rain. As I did last week, I went early to the rail trail so I could run 3 miles before everyone arrived. Yike! The Humidity! I was dying and it was only 7 am. My friends arrived and did a variety of mileage and walking. I ran with Sherry and we barely and I mean barely survived 7 miles.
Same as last week, we all got something to eat and brought it to the library lawn and hung out (6 ft apart) and chatted until the rain drove us away.
I spent the rest of the day recovering…and doing errands and stuff around the house like weeding and laundry.
- Sunday – The temps cooled off and it was cloudy so we decided not to go boating. Instead, the hubby played tennis and I went hiking with a friend. I think I got her hooked on hiking the local preserves..
I picked Huyck Preserve since she had never been and I had enjoyed it (esp. the waterfalls). It was even more fun not being by myself.
More weeding and laundry.Took a break and went for another hike. This time I re-visited Hollyhock Hollow Preserve. I did the blue loop along the creek and then also part of the white trail to an old quarry. So many more trails left to explore too.
This Coming Week –
- Monday – run, dr appt., walk with BFF
- Tuesday – run
- Wednesday – run
- Thursday – rest day, trail walk
- Friday – rest day
- Saturday – LONG RUN
- Sunday – rest day, boating
I encourage you to do the same. Grab the graphic, drop your link on the host blogs and play along! Please be sure to always comment on the HOST’s blogs, as well as visit and comment on as many other blogs as you can.
Happy Running! How is your running going? How is this virus affecting you and your family? Have you done any parking lot or driveway get togethers with friends or family? Please share.