My Topic today is: How to Support Your Friends While Running Alone
Now more than ever, runners need support.
I know, you may think this doesn’t apply to you. You mostly run alone. You follow your own plan and run whenever you choose and wherever. You pretty much worry about your own running concerns, needs and goals.
I bet at one time or another, another runner has helped you at a race, a run or even provided online support.
I know when I was training for my marathon, I was very lucky to have friends who cared about and supported me. They offered to run parts of my long runs, cheered me on at the end my 20 miler and even tracked me during the big race.
And although my friends and I are currently not running together, I want to still support them, encourage them to keep running and make sure they know I care about them.
So here are some ideas that you can use to support your friends even if you are now running alone:
- Text them. Ask them how they are? What they are doing? How they are keeping active?
- Set up Video Chats. ZOOM is free and easy to use. You can discuss running, of course (or anything else) and it’s nice to see their faces and hear their voices.
- Organize Virtual Running Dates. You can run at the same time but in different places. You can even text each other pictures from the run.
- Participate with them in Virtual Races. There are so many out there. Some even send you a bib and a medal (and the fee often supports a charity). You don’t even have run an “official” virtual race. You can just pick a race and a distance and then run it.
- Post Your Scheduled Runs (when and when). Your friends will know where and when you are running. They may even choose to run WITH you (but of course, 6 feet apart.)
- Encourage Signing Up for Summer or Fall Races. Always motivating to have something to look forward to together.
We may feel alone. We may feel isolated. Some of us even may feel depressed and unmotivated due to so many races being cancelled.
But we are really in it together. We can help each get through these difficult times.
I’m also linking up here:
Happy Running! How you are supporting your running friends? Please share.