This post is for all you coffee drinkers (or future coffee drinkers).
Here are 5 ways that coffee (that is with caffeine) can enhance your running performance:
- Moderate intake of coffee lowers perceived exertion. That means that your workouts may feel easier. So you may be able to maintain your desired running pace longer.
- Coffee increases your blood levels of free fatty acids. That makes them available for fuel while preserving your glycogen stores. In other words, you may be able to run longer distances.
- Coffee can also help preserve glycogen stores when consumed after exertion. So you should try drinking some after a run, as well.
- Coffee stimulates the central nervous system, leading to increased alertness and lower perception of fatigue. A no-brainer on how this could help your running.
- Coffee stimulates peristalsis (or a bowel movement). So definitely try drinking some coffee before a race. LOL
Yes, I have tried caffeinated teas and they just didn’t have the same effect for me.
Of course, every runner is different. You may not need caffeine at all.
And my after race preference is actually chocolate milk not coffee.
Happy Running! Do you drink coffee? Any other benefits of coffee that I have missed? Please share.
and add your link below: