I’m sure I’m late to the Super Hero muffin bandwagon.
If you haven’t heard about them, most of these muffin recipes come from Shalane Flanagan and Elyse Kopecky’s cookbooks and many runners (especially Ali on the Run) have raved about them.
Did you know that they were originally created by elite athlete coach Jerry Schumacher (Shalane’s trainer) to tame his sweet tooth without adding processed bars? (I did not!)
I don’t bake at all these days but I decided I had to try them for myself.
Here’s what I discovered:
1.They are tasty.
I admit that I have a big sweet tooth. And I really liked them.
2. They are healthy.
They’re packed full of veggies and sweetened with maple syrup or honey instead of refined sugar. In addition, almond meal/flour and whole grain oats replace nutrient-stripped white flour.
They are Shalane’s go-to muffins. Need I say more? Maybe they will make me run faster!
3. They are easy to make.
I’m not a baker. In fact I rarely bake since the kids are grown and have left home. But like anything that’s worth doing, they do take time.
4. There are many varieties (and they use similar ingredients.)
Honestly, the first time I made them, I had to buy most of the ingredients. After that, I just had to make minor purchases.
5. You can customize to your own tastes and needs.
- Instead of almond meal in the recipe above, I used wheat flour and added 2 tbsp of butter (as suggested).
- To keep the muffins dairy-free, you can use coconut oil instead of butter.
- To go nut-free, you can use roasted pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds instead of nuts.
- You can substitute maple syrup for pure honey as the sweetener.
- To remain gluten-free muffins, you should use gluten-free almond meal and rolled oats.
- You can always add chocolate chips!
If you don’t have any of the cookbooks above, here are some links so you can give them a try:
- https://www.pinterest.com/pin/43558321383527594/ (chocolate banana)
- https://thenewfaceof60.me/2021/11/03/pre-run-yummm/ – by jerry schumacher
Happy Running! Do you bake often? Have you ever made these muffins? If so, which is your favorite? Please share.
and add your link below:
And don’t forget to link back to your hostesses and visit some other blogs.