It’s catch up time. I skipped last week’s Run Down since I was away for four days.
I was in NYC where I met up with some college friends (and saw the Van Gogh exhibit), then I spent the weekend with my college roomie who lives in the Hamptons (on LI) and then I returned to NYC for some sightseeing and a special meet-up.
This past week I was both recuperating and preparing to run a half marathon. It was one of the few trainings where life seemed to take precedence over my long runs. But as we know, I don’t race for my job and finish times are a mere signal of accomplishment (no matter how slow or fast.)
So Half Marathon #51 is in the books.
Two Weeks Ago:
- Monday – We got spared from the worst of the tropical storm but there was rain and a lot of rain…all day! I was wondering if it would ever stop and I would be able to go to my Freihofer Training Run. I will run when caught in the rain but but to go when it is already pouring???
Well, the rain stopped before the run and we got treated to a rainbow. What didn’t stop was the HUMIDITY!!
- Tuesday – My after work walk with friends got cancelled in favor of a reunion with three other teachers that I used to work with. We had dinner at a restaurant on the water in Saratoga. It was fun catching up.
- Wednesday – Back in the office so I did my usual lunch Starbucks walk.
After work, the last “ice cream” run was held. I debated about going but since it was on trails and the day before a race, I did instead a quick slow run at UAlbany followed by ice cream and a walk with friends.
- Thursday – Tonight the Workforce Challenge Race was scheduled on a new date and time (normally in May) and in a new locale (normally in downtown Albany.) It is always hot and humid during this race and tonight didn’t disappoint. The course was harder (HILLS) and there were fewer participants but always glad to have an opportunity to race with others.
Two of my running friends volunteered so we all went out after.
- Friday – Off on a very early train to NYC. When I arrived at Penn Station (or now we use Moynihan Hall), I met up with my college friends and we all took the subway to have a yummy brunch together.
After brunch, we taxied to the Van Gogh expo. I had already seen it (in Montreal) but my friends had not. Even with all the COVID restrictions, it was still enjoyable. Glad I got to see it again.
After the expo, we headed back uptown to catch the Cezanne exhibit in the Modern Museum of Art. What else would French majors do? And afterward, we had drinks and a bite to eat.
Then my roommate and I took the LIRR out to her place in the the Hamptons where I would spend the weekend.
- Saturday – I woke up early to get in a run in my roomie’s neighborhood. It’s always nice to run in a new place.
It was quite windy so we decided instead of the beach to go to a winery. There are zillions on eastern LI.
For dinner, we settled on a seafood meal with a view of the LI Sound.
- Sunday – My host was a late riser so that gave me the opportunity to again go for a run.
The weather today was nice enough to head to the beach… that made me super happy.
We chose this beach because my friend wanted to give me the opportunity to run over a bridge.
For dinner, we chose an Italian restaurant (of course with a view.)
- Monday – My plan was to head back to NYC on the train. It is 2h30 ride and there are not many trains. I did have time to run before I left but decided instead to save my legs for walking around Manhattan.
I had thought that I would walk around Central Park but Cari recommended that I go someplace new. So I hopped the subway and headed toward the Little Island. (Thanks Cari for the suggestion.)
With time to kill until dinner and needing some shade, I decided to walk the High Line.
The real reason that I added an extra day to my trip was to see two dear friends that I hadn’t seen in forever.
I returned home by train (with no travel issues.)
- Tuesday – I was pooped from my 4 day vacation. Luckily I was still working from home. I was able to squeeze in a run before meeting friends to walk on the rail trail.
- Wednesday – Today the forecast was for rain but I was hoping to be able walk and to attend the SOAR/ice cream group run after work. At lunch, I checked the forecast and made the decision to run then rather than waiting.
It was the right decision since it rained all afternoon. We wound up doing our walk in the mall.
- Thursday – Rest Day! The ARE trail runs had ended but my running friend had decided to continue these as walks each week on a a different trail. Today we chose Thacher Park. (The weather was cool and would have been perfect for a evening race…just saying.)
Unfortunately our favorite post-hike restaurant was closed so we had to choose an alternate.
- Friday – Rest Day #2. I picked up my bib for the race the next day,
got my outfit ready and played mah jongg.
- Saturday – Race 4 the River Half Marathon. Finally a race where it was not very hot or humid and one where the course was not super hilly. Still it felt hard but thanks to my friends, I had a fun time before, during and after.
- Sunday – Recovery Day and packing up the kitchen for the reno.
This Coming Week on the Run–
- Monday – DAY OFF (Holiday) – FTC run
- Tuesday – (Kitchen reno starts!) rest day, walk with friends
- Wednesday – run
- Thursday – run, trail walk
- Friday -rest day, mah jongg
- Saturday – Malta 5K (+5-8 more miles)
- Sunday – rest day, boating
This Coming Week on the Blog –
- Tuesday – Workforce Challenge Race Recap
- Friday – Looking Forward to Fall
I encourage you to do the same. Grab the graphic, drop your link on the host blogs and play along! Please be sure to always comment on the HOST’s blogs, as well as visit and comment on as many other blogs as you can.
Happy Running! How is your running going? Any in-person races planned? Please share.