I had taken a day off from work this week to go hiking with a friend and it turned out to be the warmest day of the year.
The temps did cool down a little and I managed a few runs, hikes and even a race this week.
- Monday – As I mentioned, months ago I had chosen this day to go hiking. The weather decided to heat up to over 90 degrees. Not my preferred temps for hiking but at least there was no rain or mud. My friend chose a hike in the Catskills. She is a very experienced hiker so hikes that I’ve taken with her have always taken me out of my comfort zone. This one was no different but still enjoyable. We couldn’t find the parking lot for Kaaterskill Falls so instead we parked at a new Rail Trail and walked 1.5 miles to the Falls trail. It turned out to be a nice diversion as it was flat and shady. The falls were awesome and in hindsight I wished that I had gotten wet. There were a zillion stairs going down to each level. Not bad and we had lunch at the middle level but going back up…Oy!! We decided to continue on the Escarpment Trail next since someone said it was flat and easy. NOT!! Rocky, lots of climbing. I think we made it half way to the first viewing overlook and then turned back. Almost 7 miles for the day but so needed mentally!!
When I got home, I remembered that I had a ZOOM book club and a walk planned with my BFF. I didn’t really like the book so I opted for the walk and chat (We even had to walk in the air-conditioned mall due to the heat.)
- Tuesday – Still so hot and humid. Crazy me again chose to run at noon, the hottest part of the day. My legs were also tired the previous day’s climbing. As luck would have it, it started to rain before my run which did cool things down a little, but not much. Not a pretty run but it got done.
Today’s nugget (from Fit Strong Women over 50 Podcast): Refine your best so doing your best doesn’t seem like failure.
Thunderstorms almost took out our after work walk on the rail trail. Luckily there was a break in the rain and we squeezed it in.
- Wednesday – Today was our first scheduled Ice Cream run. You know how I feel about ice cream so joining this group was a no brainer. The timing worked out since I was too busy to run at lunch anyway. We met at Tawasentha Park at 6 pm (after a thunderstorm), ran/walked and then had ice cream at a nearby shop.
- Thursday – As I said last week, I hate to run three days in a row but I did not run Sunday or Monday so run day 3 it was. Slow and short. It was followed immediately by a very long walk with a friend on the rail trail.
- Friday – Rest Day finally. Not much activity beside my weekly mah jongg game and getting ready for my race the next day.
- Saturday – Race Day. Rabbit Ramble 4 Miler. Actually it didn’t feel like a race. I didn’t train for it and it was small and just something different to do with our running group. I think our goal was to finish quickly and get to brunch. And that’s what we did. Four of us ran the race and five cheered.
- Sunday – I thought we might take the boat out my my hubby decided to play tennis and then watch the finals of the French Open on TV. I took advantage of the free time for laundry, a run, a hike and then some errands.
I decided to run on the Corning Bike Path because I hadn’t in a while.
Todays nugget: (from She Runs It podcast): The moment the negative stuff is taking up too much head space, it’s time to make a change.
Afterward on my way to shopping, I stopped by a trail.
This Coming Week on the Run–
- Monday – run
- Tuesday – rest day, walk with friends
- Wednesday – Ice Cream run
- Thursday – ARE Trail Run (with friends)
- Friday – rest day, mah jongg
- Saturday – LONG Run
- Sunday – rest day, boating or hiking
This Coming Week on the Blog –
- Tuesday – Rabbit Ramble 4 Mile Race Recap
- Friday – Social Networking for Runners
I encourage you to do the same. Grab the graphic, drop your link on the host blogs and play along! Please be sure to always comment on the HOST’s blogs, as well as visit and comment on as many other blogs as you can.
Happy Running! How is your running going? Any in-person races planned? Have you been experiencing summer temps where you live? Any vacations planned? Please share.