Yes, my FIRST real race since last February. Until now, all my “real” 2020 races have been out of town – NYC, Lake George, Bermuda.
Of course, this one was much different due to all the pandemic restrictions in place.
But my goal was to finish (with minimal pain) and connect with friends that I haven’t seen in forever.
Last Week –
- Monday – The awesome Fall weather continued. Still too lazy to run before work but I did get a run in during lunch on the rail trail.
- Tuesday – The sunny warm weather threatened to end by week’s end so I decided to run again today. And before work!!
And as soon as I got halfway, I got a text saying that our power was out. WTH? On a clear sunny windless day??
We do have a generator but I cannot work without Internet. UGH!
Phew, the power came back after an hour or so. Then I could relax and take my usual lunch walk…
and trail walk at Hollyhock Hollow Sanctuary after work (a quick one due to limited light).
- Wednesday – Veteran’s Day holiday so I did not have to work. My plans were to hike if the weather cooperated. Rain was predicted for the afternoon so I decided to visit Olana State Historic Site since I had never been there before.
I didn’t want to go too far or do a challenging climb just in case the forecast was wrong.
It was warm but cloudy. And my running friend agreed to go with me. It’s always more fun not going alone.
We managed to get in 4 miles before we ran out of places to walk so we decided to stop off at Art Omni to have lunch and do more walking.
But the rain came early. We ate and then drove home. At least we got to see Olana. Hope to go back in the spring when the flowers are in bloom.
- Thursday – Since I had to work from 10:00 pm – 12:45 am, I took most of the day off. That gave me the opportunity to do a run and a walk/hike during daylight hours.
I woke up to drizzle and cold temps. I wanted to get one more run in before Sunday so I dragged myself out there. My motivator was a Starbucks red cup. That meant I had to drive to Ualbany to run (don’t have a Starbucks in my town).
I still had time to kill before work so of course, I decided to get in a hike. I dressed a little warmer and headed to Bennett Hill Preserve. I had visited there in May but I am trying to mix up new spots and old ones in new seasons.
When I was finished, I stopped off at packet pick up. It was actually a drive by pick up. I opened my passenger window and they gave me my packet. Easy peasy.
- Friday – Tired due to yesterday’s work hours and it was cold and dreary. Not inviting to go outside. I went for a brief walk at lunch and then a longer one after work with friends. We seem to be limited to the outdoor mall with early sunset (and not wanted to be inside).
- Saturday –
Long Run Saturday. With a half marathon the next day…this was a walk and brunch instead of a long run.
My friend who had serious heart surgery followed by complications was rehabbing in MA. I got an appt to visit her today. Since it was long drive for a 30 minute visit, of course, I had find a nearby trail. to stretch my legs.
Then I came home to carb load, stress about the weather and decide on my #flatme.
- Sunday – Race Day!! Upstate Classic Half Marathon. It was certainly different. I felt safe. It was hard since the course was very hilly. I also did not feel in racing shape and my foot hurt. Plus it was COLD and windy. But I finished with a smile (that you couldn’t see under my mask). I’m so glad that I took the leap and ran this race. (More details in Tuesday’s Recap).
This Coming Week –
- Monday – rest day
- Tuesday – rest day
- Wednesday – run
- Thursday – run
- Friday – rest day, walk with friends
- Saturday – Long Run
- Sunday – rest day, hiking, ZOOM mah jongg anniversary party (12 years together)
I encourage you to do the same. Grab the graphic, drop your link on the host blogs and play along! Please be sure to always comment on the HOST’s blogs, as well as visit and comment on as many other blogs as you can.
Happy Running! How is your running going? Any “real” races yet? How are you dealing with Thanksgiving plans? Please share.