As you may know, I LOVE my carbs.
Complex Carbs Are Good Carbs. They are the ones that give your body the best fuel. They are usually found in foods high in fiber, which break down more slowly, giving you a steady blood sugar level through the day and making you feel less hungry and irritable when mid-afternoon rolls around.
- Fresh fruit, ideally those with a low glycemic Index like apricots, raspberries, strawberries and blackberries
- Non-starchy vegetables
- Whole grains and foods made from whole grains, such as certain types of bread and cereal
- Dairy products that are not sweetened with sugar, such as yogurt, sour cream, cheese and milk
Simple Carbs are Bad Carbs and should be avoided. Your body quickly breaks down simple carbs, giving your blood sugar a spike and sending you running back to the kitchen or snack machine within hours of your last fix.
- Refined grains like white bread, white rice and enriched pasta
- Processed foods such as cake, candy cookies and chips
- White potatoes
- Sweetened soft drinks
Of course, bad carbs help you when you need a sudden rush of energy such as for RUNNING.
Except for my passion for desserts, I do try to eat “Good Carbs.”
Happy Running! Do you eat Good Carbs?