Once the Pandemic hit in March 2020, I knew that running 30 or more races including one half marathon each month would not likely happen.
I planned to continue to run hoping that the Pandemic would end but just in case, I knew that I needed an additional goal to stay active. Since I was working from home with no travel plans, I would have extra time.
In April, I decided that in addition to running, I would visit 25 trails in my area.
Before 2020, I had NO idea how many nearby opportunities there were for hiking. I wound up enjoying my trail walks, both solo and with friends, even more than my runs.
So I made the effort to visit as many trails each week as I had time for. Both after work and on weekends. By June, I changed my goal to 50 trails and to also re-visit the ones I liked and in different seasons.
And at the end of 2020, I had visited 72 different trails!!!!
2021 began and the Pandemic continued. And even when things started opening up and races being held, I vowed to continue my hiking adventures. No goals other than re-visit trails that I enjoyed plus discover some new ones.
So here’s a list of the NEW trails that I have visited so far in 2021:
- Indian Kill Preserve
- Burden Pond Preserve (2)
- Sanders Preserve
- Plotterkill Preserve (2)
- Secret Woods Preserve (Ft Lauderdale, FL)
- Grafton State Park
- Ooms Conservation Area
- Hand Hollow Conservation Area
- BeeBe Hill Forest Trails
- Cohoes Falls Trail (Waterford)
- Owen D. Young Nature Trails
- Wintergreen Park
- Buttermilk (Yatesville) Falls (Montgomery Cnty)
- Paint Mine Trail (Thacher Park)
- Escarpment Trail (Thacher Park)
- Barbersville Falls Ridge Trail (2)
- Barbersville Falls – Creek Trail
- Ferncliff Forest Fire Tower
- Poet’s Walk
- Myakka State Park (Sarasota, FL)
- Falling Waters Preserve
- Saugerties Lighthouse Trail
- Postenkill Gorge Trail
- Dionondahowa Falls
- Hudson Crossings Park Trails
- Kaaterskill Rail Trail
- Kaaterskill Falls (lower falls)
- Kaaterskill Escarpment Trail
- Lawson Lake Trail
- Indian Ladder Farms Trail
- The Pinnacle
GRAND TOTAL = 31
That doesn’t count the times that I have re-visited many of the trails.
You may have noticed that Hiking Sunday has been replaced by Boating Sunday.
But don’t worry. I have discovered a new love. And there are so many more places that I have not hiked yet.
And I’ll be back out there come Fall.