Zenaida prompted me a while back to reflect on this topic.
In August of 2015, I posted about what I hoped that I’d be doing In 5 Years. Here’s what I wrote:
- Working at the same job – I am too old to change careers. I would like to afford to be retired but I doubt I will be able be.
- Playing tennis – I love my friends and enjoy playing this sport on a limited basis. I won’t be playing seriously on a team but I plan to plan socially with my friends at least once a week and continue our annual tennis vacations.
- Enjoying weekly Friday night mah jongg games – I play with a great bunch of women and I love the game.
- Going boating in the summer on the weekends and hanging out in the bays or on the islands.
- Running and racing – I hope to be still running the occasional half marathon. I hope to continue winning awards in my new age group. If I lose my mind and someone trains with me, I may have run a full marathon…but that’s not in the plan!!
Since it has been more than 5 years, I can now see if my predictions were correct:
- Working at the same job –Nope. Not by choice. My position was eliminated but I have a new job which involves lots of travel (before the pandemic. Now I am working from home.)
- Playing tennis – Nope. Due the new job and travel, I dropped my tennis club membership and no longer play at all. My tennis friends are still my good friends. We see each other monthly (before the pandemic) and continue to spend a week in Naples, Fla.
- Enjoying weekly Friday night mah jongg games – Yes. At least before the Pandemic. I’m looking forward to playing again.
- Going boating in the summer on the weekends – Yes. But many of our boating friends have moved or sold their boats. Still I am enjoying the lake’s beauty with the hubby.
- Running and racing – Yes. I am happily still running and racing. And I just ran my 43rd Half marathon (+6 more virtuals) and my first MARATHON in 2019!
So now what about in the Next 5 Years?
- I hope that I will be HEALTHY. – As we age (and I will be over 70!), we unfortunately may be losing some of our friends. (I have already lost several friends to cancer.) Good health is key to all things in life.
- I hope to still be RUNNING and RACING. I don’t plan on another marathon and it may not be 1000 miles run a year. But I hope (as long as my feet let me) to be out there running with my friends and competing in races.
- I hope to stay in touch with all the friends that I have made through the various activities that I have participated in (school, work, mah jongg, quilting, knitting, reading, tennis, running, blogging, etc). As they say “Friends are the family that we choose for ourselves.” My friends have always been important me. And social media has made it so much easier to stay in touch. I hope to make even MORE friends.
- I see myself still working. I am not a stay at home “Suzy Homemaker” kind of person. I would LOVE to work LESS but we’ll see how it goes. I enjoy having $$ to do what I need to do. That means working.
- Hopefully I will continue to take race-cations and return to FRANCE!! – I love to travel and I have seen some wonderful places due to traveling there for a race. However, Paris is still #1.
I’m also linking up here:
Happy Running! 5 years ago, what do you think you would have predicted you’d be doing now and what about in five years? Please share.