We had spring-like weather for a few days. I completed a virtual 5k. And I ran my second Pandemic race of 2021 – a five miler. Another PW but I enjoyed it nonetheless.
- Monday – It was International Women’s Day and the weather cooperated with sunshine. I was able to get my run in at UAlbany at lunch since I had to stop by my nearby office anyway.
- Tuesday – The temps were even warmer today and there was some sun… I managed to squeeze in another #weekofpi run to honor Kim. Unfortunately the wind was back.
- Wednesday – So exciting that it actually felt like spring. I had the day off due to some early morning appts and then a hiking date with two friends. No running today (sigh) but a good day nonetheless. We decided on Plotterskill since my friends has not been there before. We were hoping to see some waterfalls and hopefully not too much ice or mud.
Well, it was not what we thought – very very icy steep slopes to scale up and down, endless uphill snowy climbs, dangerous rivers crossings….so 7.5 miles later (and 5 1/2 hours) I was very relived to be in one piece. In fact, when we exited the last part of the trail, there was a sign “Trail closed due to dangerous conditions.” Yikes.
But the weather was beautiful – warm and sunny. An afternoon off from work to spend with friends was wonderful. And though at many points, I yelled “I can’t do this,” I did it!!
- Thursday – I wanted to get in a run since I skipped yesterday but a busy work day meant that the best time to run would be before work. But I dawdled with my coffee and had to squeeze it in my neighborhood during lunch. However, I thought it a good idea to check out the water line trail….Note to self: mud is just as slippery as ice. It was sunny and a little breezy but it hit 50 degrees so no complaints here.
After work, I quickly stopped by to pick up my bib for Saturday’s race
and then I met a friend to walk. Since the clocks get turned ahead on Sunday, next week, our walks will return to the rail trail after work 🙂
- Friday – My plan was to rest up for my race the next day. It was sunny but not as warm as Thursday and a little windy and so I used my lunch hour to take a walk in town.
- Saturday – A race. As with my other Pandemic races, I approached this with a relaxed attitude. Connect with others and enjoy the experience. It is hard not to want to be competitive. But I know this is not the time for that. Unfortunately the warmish temps we had in previous days did not continue. It was freezing. To make mattes worse, it was WINDY. Seeing friends and participating in a “live” race was worth the discomfort. I can’t wait to run another.
I was going to run again on Sunday but it was forecast to be even windier and cloudy so I sucked it up and stopped on the way home to run 5 more miles (although there may be have been more walking than running.) My 10 mile LSD streak continues!
- Sunday – With my run out of the way, that left the day for biking and hiking! I left early since it supposed to get windier and either snow or rain.
Well, you know my obsession with waterfalls so I went back to High Fall Conservation Area. I had been there last spring. Boy, was I surprised to find zero ice and snow…dry as a bone. That gave me plenty of safe places to explore.
On the the way I stopped at an apple orchard.
This Coming Week –
- Monday – run, walk
- Tuesday – rest day, bike, walk with friends
- Wednesday – run, walk
- Thursday – run, walk with friends
- Friday – rest day, bike, walk
- Saturday – LONG RUN
- Sunday – rest day, bike, walk/hike
I encourage you to do the same. Grab the graphic, drop your link on the host blogs and play along! Please be sure to always comment on the HOST’s blogs, as well as visit and comment on as many other blogs as you can.
Happy Running! How is your running going? Doing any virtual races? Any in-person races planned? How’s your weather and its impact on your running? Please share.