I get sad when Fall is approaching. It means the end of flowers. The end of boating. The days are getting shorter. Soon my group walks and hikes after work will have to end as well as bike paths to run on. Sigh.
Until then, I plan to enjoy what’s left.
I had a discount code and could do this virtual race series for free so I signed up. Maybe it’ll get me motivated to fun faster (…or not.)
Last Week –
- Monday – It was actually chilly when I woke up. Too bad I had declared it a rest day since I had run 12 miles the day before (Grr…Sunday runs mess up my week!)
Instead, I sneaked out for a short bike ride on Big Red in the neighborhood.
At lunch, I headed back to walk in our local park.
And it was so nice outside so I decided to drag my weary legs out for run. My running friend, Deirdre, suggested walking in Washington Park which wasn’t part of my plan so I parked my car and ran to meet her at Starbucks. We walked around the park and then I ran back to my car. Mission accomplished.
- Tuesday – No time for a walk before work (though it was again beautiful outside).
I did squeeze in a short walk during lunch
and after work, I thought about a run at UAlbany before I met my BFF for a walk around an outside mall. But then I offered to pick up race swag for a running buddy and realized that Six Mile Waterworks was nearby. So change in running plans. Glad I did too. A mixture of road, trails, sand and lots of interesting nature views. The only downside was that I fell toward the end. (Very dirty and bloody but no serious injuries). It confirmed to me that I should NEVER run a trail race lol.
- Wednesday – I decided on a rest day because I knew I’d be hiking after work. I had thought I could at least squeeze in a walk during lunch but it poured all morning and continued to rain most of the day 😦
Finally the rain ended by the time I finished work. For our weekly after work trail walk this week, we went back to the trails at the Pine Bush but drove to the Water Tower (purple trail) and did an out and back and then a loop for 3.25 miles.
- Thursday – I had to go to work to print stuff and I thought I had time to squeeze in a run first. Remember I signed up for a virtual 5k each week for the next 8 weeks. Unfortunately it would have been too rushed so instead I took a quick walk so I could photograph more flowers.
That meant that my “virtual” 5k had to happen during my lunch break. I stopped off at the rail trail on my way home from the office. It was sunny and very humid and I was hungry but I had no choice but to just “DO IT.”
I have been running with walking intervals with a pace of 13:XX or so. No big deal. Not racing. Just enjoying the outdoors and being with friends. I decided with these 8 5ks that I would try and push the pace. Not race them but just be uncomfortable. Not easy when you haven’t run more than 45 seconds without walking.
This 5k made me realize that I have a lot of work to do if I want to return to my former 27:XX 5k times. Not sure that I care. However each week, I can work on something different. This week I decided to just stop when winded rather than walking which of course, would not happen in a “real” race.
- Friday – Rest Day Friday. No running but some walking…
in the ‘hood before work
at the preserve at lunch and one last look at the nearby sunflower farm.
And of course, ended my day with my weekly walk on the rail trail with former co-workers. I convinced them to meet at the Voorheesville end to show them the art work hanging from the trees.
They loved it. And afterward we hung out and had some wine and cheese. Such a fun evening.
- Saturday – LONG RUN DAY. This week, we chose the Nisky Bike Path. As usual, I arrived first to run a few miles with Alyssa and then paired up to run intervals with Deirdre and Jan. 12 miles done!!!
Of course, the highlight was our group brunch afterwards. (Cinnamon Swirl pancakes and bacon this week).
- Sunday – Boating Days are limited. Today was the annual Christmas on Log Bay party. Surprisingly, it was allowed to take place.
The weather was warm and we invited 2 friends on our boat. Such a fun day!!
Because I had the next day off from work, I planned to stay overnight on the boat so I could get up early and run and hike.
This Coming Week –
- Monday – DAY OFF, run, hike
- Tuesday – rest day, ZOOM with college friends
- Wednesday – run
- Thursday – run, trail walk
- Friday – rest day, walk with friends
- Saturday – LONG RUN
- Sunday – rest day, Boating on Lake George
I encourage you to do the same. Grab the graphic, drop your link on the host blogs and play along! Please be sure to always comment on the HOST’s blogs, as well as visit and comment on as many other blogs as you can.
Happy Running! How is your running going? Any races yet? Are you looking forward to Fall? Please share.