Since I was away in Florida, this is a TWO week run down.
Two weeks ago –
- Monday – So today was week 7 of the Freihofer Challenge Training (FTC) group. All my Sole Sister friends skipped this run. I was proud that I dragged my tired body to it. In fact, I felt great which surprised me. The “advanced” group was running 5 one mile sprints… tempted but “no,” cautiously downgraded with my friend Deb to the Intermediate group and ran 4 easy miles. And it was one of my better training runs. Stan said it was because the day before we walked so much as recovery from the 15k on Saturday. Go figure!
- Tuesday – Rest (and rainy) day ’cause I had a much needed hair appt.
- Wednesday – Had planned on a FTC group run but didn’t want to wait so ran a quick few miles right after work and then went home to pack.
- Thursday – Off to Florida on a very early morning flight. After we arrived, picked up a rental car, lunched, we chilled at the pool at our rented villas (the same ones since 2006). Of course we went to our first of many dinners out in Naples.
- Friday – Started the day with a run,
followed by tennis, the beach and dinner out. Slowly acclimated to the heat and humidity.
- Saturday – A lot more tennis and beach. Went for a early walk instead of a run.
After dinner, we all went to a show in town (Lost in Yonkers). A fun time, of course.
- Sunday – After a late night, I had an early morning race (what was I thinking?) For the 3rd year in a row, I ran the Tropicool 5k (it was anything but cool). Too hot to be speedy but won my age group anyway. Then I rushed back to play tennis, followed by the beach and dinner out. See the pattern?
Last Week –
- Monday – A similar day as the rest. A run,
tennis, the beach and dinner out. Tonight we ate at the Ritz so we could watch the sunset on the Gulf.
- Tuesday – More of the same. A run,
But we stayed in for book club night and birthday party. Lots of laughs and food.
- Wednesday – Road trip day. Just a walk
and ride north to Osprey to visit Historic Spanish Point,
lunch out, and then a visit to Selby Gardens in Sarasota.
For my pre-birthday dinner, I requested pizza and ice cream on Fifth Avenue in Naples. (sorry no pix)
- Thursday – My Birthday. So I ran with tennis sandwiched in the middle.
Then we packed and hung at the pool. One last delicious meal out before we headed to the airport. The weather had been perfect for the week. Not a drop of rain. That is until we got to the airport. A long thunderstorm caused our plane’s departure to be delayed and so we missed our connection and got stuck in Charlotte sans luggage.
- Friday – I was supposed to be back at work. Instead had to fly home and skipped work and Mah Jongg. But I did manage to get in a walk in the park.
- Saturday – Exhausted from my trip but had committed to run the Summer Smith Addiction Awareness Memorial 5k. Felt like crap when I got up (headache & nauseous) but felt better when I arrived and chatted with all my runner friends and STEM participants. Again the pre-race festivities moved me to tears.
I rushed home because I had planned to go the the Tulip Fest with Amanda (my mentee and her sons Richard & Matthew – which is an annual tradition for us.
- Sunday – I had wanted to do a long run today…I have a half marathon in ONE week and my long runs have been 8m, 9m, 3m, 3m since the last one. Barbara agreed to run with me but bad weather prevailed. She went to the Y and I skipped the run entirely.
Where is the SOAR run this week? I’m hoping to go.
You were very, very lucky to not be here last week. This weather has been a major drag (except here & there).
I’m sure you’ll be fine for the half, and it should be very lovely.
You have to sign up on the ARE site each time. Check there.
The half will be ok…. just running it for fun with friends.
LikeLiked by 1 person
What a fun couple of weeks. Perfect way to celebrate your birthday. I could use some Florida about now since spring hasn’t shown up in Chicago yet.
Nor has it in Albany, NY. Ran in tights and jacket this am.
WOW, what a busy two weeks for you!
The weather yesterday was awful so i don’t blame you for forgoing that run. I’m sure you will be fine for your upcoming half!
Let’s hope so. I just don’t want to get injured again. But it is what it is.
Congrats on the first place in your a.g.
A great couple of weeks!
A needed vacation with warm temps and sunshine. Now back to reality.
Sounds like a fun time in Florida! That’s great that you had good weather while you were there but boo to the storms impacting your flight home 😦 Good luck with the upcoming half!
Thanks…hope it goes well..
Looks like a fun week of sunny skies, friends, tennis and running! Thanks for linking up
It was great! None of that this week 😦
Oh man, all these pics are REALLY making me miss my time in Florida last weekend! I absolutely love how many names you were able to fit on that cake too – so great 🙂
Love Florida!! All that green and sun!
Happy Birthday! It looks like you had some great views last week. I want to go back to the beach.
You and me both!!
So glad you had a wonderful birthday trip! You know the 9th is a special day!
Yeah, there’s no more cool down here for at least six months. Although I will say that it hasn’t been terrible so far this year. I’m sure I will regret saying that next month.
Yes a very special day LOL. It is also Victory Day in Russia.
I loved being in Fla.
You had a busy couple of weeks! Looks like so much fun! Happy Birthday!!
In this case, busy was a good thing.
What busy two weeks for you! Looks like you had so much fun. You are killing it with winning in your age group. Congrats!
This vacation is always so much fun. That’s why I go even though during the year I rarely play tennis anymore.
It helps when you are “OLD” to win those awards.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Gosh, so much fun! Happy Birthday! All that beach time sounds great. Love the tulips!
Floating in the water at the beach is my favorite thing to do (if the water it warm, that is) plus walking along the beach.
Total busy-ness 😉 I know, that’s just the way some of us like it, right? 😉 I’m jealous of your Florida time (but not the jinxed flight home). Thanks for linking!
Florida was wonderful. Trying to forget the last day.
You are killing it with your races! Congrats on your AG win! It sounds like you had a wonderful time in Florida!
LikeLiked by 1 person
I did. A needed break.
LikeLiked by 1 person