I spent last week vacationing in France. The purpose was two-fold: to accompany my friend Lisa in visiting her old friends who lived in the Bordeaux region and to run a race in Paris. Yes, both were accomplished,
Last week –
- Monday – Though probably jet-lagged, I had decided that although Karen was no longer able to race with me, I wanted to meet up with her and possibly run with her. She chose Bois de Vincennes which was only a few metro stops from my hotel. The run was leisurely and it was great to see her again.
Later that day, Lisa & I took the train to Bordeaux where Chantal met us and we rented a car and drove to her home in Sanguinet.
- Tuesday – My first day in Sanguinet. So of course I had to go for a run. The house where I am staying is a mile from a huge lake. I ran there with no problem. But got lost on the way home. Good thing I speak French fluently and I was able to get directions back home.
We spent the rest of the driving around and getting lost but I did get to see the Atlantic and walk around the town of Biscarrosse. On the way home, we stopped so I could climb the famous Dunes of Pyla. It was one of my favorite activities of the trip.
- Wednesday- I ran again to the lake and did not get lost this time but ran along a different trail and fell. No injury so all was good.
Today we drove to Arcachon and then took a boat to Cap Ferret. We had oysters (the specialty there) and took a boat tour around the Cap and a train ride to the ocean and back.
- Thursday – One last run in Sanguinet. Instead of my lake run, I just ran around the neighborhoods. No falls and no getting lost. 😀
Today was a rainy day so we took a train to the city of Bordeaux and took a few bus tours of city and a wine tasting boat ride on the Garonne river. Such a beautiful place.
- Friday – Rest day. We drove to Bordeaux to return our rental car. After one last wander around the city and a lunch with Chantal, we took the train back to Paris.
We stayed in the same hotel as our first night of the trip. As soon as we checked in, I headed out on the metro to get my race packet. It was a perfect time to visit the expo since it was near closing and not too crowded.
- Saturday – Another rest day. Instead I put in over 12 miles walking. I took a long walk on the above ground walkway where runners go. In the afternoon, we took a BatoBus on the Seine river. This ride allows you to get in and off the boat so we did at the Jardin des Plantes and Tuileries.
- Sunday – Race Day. I finished the 20km de Paris on a very warm sunny day. It was much harder than I expected but I loved the race. I am happy that I was able to take it slow and enjoy the whole experience.
We celebrated with dinner and walk around the Latin Quarter.
This Coming Week –
- Monday – 4 miles (in Paris)
- Tuesday – rest day, fly to JFK, train home
- Wednesday – 3 miles
- Thursday – 4 miles
- Friday – rest day, mah jongg
- Saturday – 10 miles, Ellms Family farm with mentee & sons
- Sunday – rest day, bridal shower for future daughter-in-law (in MA)
Happy Running! How is your running going? What’s new with you? Any big races on the horizon? Please share.