Two weeks ago –
- Monday – Off to NYC by train. Once I had set up Queens and returned to Manhattan, I planned to squeeze in a run before dinner. But the weather wrecked my plans. Cold wind and rain. Nope. No run for me.
- Tuesday – After work, I hopped on the subway to run in Central park. Finally spring like weather. Or more like summer. 80 degrees and the Park was packed with runners, beautiful flowers and fragrant smells.
- Wednesday – Rest day due to having to get the train to return home, pack and get ready to leave on vacation the next morning.
- Thursday – 8 am flight to Florida. We landed in Ft Myers and picked up a rental car to drive to Naples. This is our 12th tennis trip here so we have a routine and it felt like coming home – unpacking, grocery shopping, relaxing by the pool, dinner out, chatting, sleep?
- Friday – My first Florida run – holy humidity! My goal was to run at least 3 miles most days before a tennis lesson and doubles play. After tennis we pack a lunch and spend the rest of the day on the beach, soaking up vitamin D, reading, playing Scrabble or strolling along the water – heavenly! Every evening we go out to dinner at a different restaurant. Tonight’s choice was the Ritz with a view of the sun setting on the Gulf.
- Saturday – As I did yesterday, I went for a run, played some doubles and then had a tennis lesson. We thought it might rain (which it never did) so we stayed at the pool rather than going to the beach. Then we went out to dinner, to a play and out for ice cream. I could get used to this life.
- Sunday – The group played tennis and had a lesson. I instead ran a 5k race. No surprise there. The surprise was how hard it was to run in 100% humidity. Lucky for me, the older ladies from last year weren’t there so I was the women’s senior grand master champion. To celebrate we walked to the Naples Pier and then went out to brunch. Again it was a busy day (We had to record a song for the ladies who couldn’t make the trip – re-written lyric to You always on my mind) so we relaxed at the pool and then went out to dinner.
Last week –
- Monday – It may sound boring but it was more of the same. A run, followed by doubles, a tennis lesson and then we packed a lunch and spent the afternoon at the beach. In the evening, we watched our tennis instructor play in a tournament and then went out to dinner.
- Tuesday – It’s tough when every day it is sunny and warm. So I ran, played tennis, had our last tennis lesson and went to the beach for the last time. Tonight we had dinner but brought our desserts home because it was book club night (we discussed The Girl Before.)
- Wednesday – My BIRTHDAY! And the day was absolutely perfect. I ran 6.5k and I played tennis after. Then we packed lunches and headed to Oscar Sherer State Park for a picnic and a hike. Next we drove to Sarasota to visit the Selby Gardens (and see the Warhol exhibit). We ended the day with dinner on the water.
- Thursday – Last day of vacation. No running today. We played tennis instead and hung out at the pool unitl we had to leave for the airport.
- Friday – Back home. Back at work. I needed a vacation from my vacation. Too pooped to even play mah jongg. Instead stayed home, unpacked and did laundry.
- Saturday – Race Day. Summer Smith Memorial 5K. A cold, miserable rainy day. So tempted to stay in bed (with my headache) but I didn’t. Of course, I got soaked but still glad I ran this race.
I spent the rest of the day (not at the Tulip Fest as planned) but with the girl I mentor and her two sons.
- Sunday – Mother’s Day! Of course, I had to go for a run. It was cool and cloudy when I started but it warmed up and the sun came out. With a half marathon in less than a week and no run longer than 8 miles done, I thought I might run 12. Ha Ha! My legs said “no way” and I struggled even getting 9 miles done (with lots of walking). Let’s hope I can rally next Saturday!
Th rest of the day was filled with laundry, grocery shopping, gardening and a late lunch with the family at my MIL’s house.
This Coming Week –
- Monday – jury duty (postponed), 4.5 miles (FTC)
- Tuesday – jury duty? 3 miles, tennis
- Wednesday – jury duty? rest day, hair appt.
- Thursday – Corpoorate Challenge Race (3.5m)
- Friday – rest day
- Saturday – Brooklyn Half Marathon
- Sunday – rest day, boating, hubby’s birthday
Happy Running! How is your running going? What’s new with you? How did you celebrate Mother’s Day? Please share.