Since it is Thursday, I’m linking up today with Amanda for Thinking Out Loud Thursday.
Here’s what I’m thinking about today:
- My Last Half Marathon
Did you know that I PR‘d?? LOL
And I didn’t expect to…
- My last half marathon time was 2:20:49.
- I struggled to finish that race.
- I ran a 5k race the past two weekends (instead of my 12 & 10 mile scheduled long runs.)
- I didn’t do any LONG training runs (besides that half 3 weeks ago or any during the previous training cycle.)
- I lazily did not run four days during the week preceding the race.
- But I ran a 3.5 race just three days before the race.
- I did not feel mentally prepared to run a fast race.
- My Garmin keeps re-setting to zero after 6 miles so I would have no watch to gauge my pace.
- I always walk at all the water stops.
So insanely, I set out to run my 26th half marathon (on my hubby’s birthday no less)
It turned out to be my easiest half marathon and my fastest.
- Cool weather conditions
- No expectations
- Ran by feel rather than staring at my watch
- Paced myself behind a lady in a pink shirt
- Flat course
- Lot’s of rest so fresh legs
- Just a fluke?
It was so effortless that….
Maybe this is my fastest time (2:06:52) or maybe not.
Time will tell.
I have a few shorter races planned for the summer.
I would love to PR in a 5K (before I’m too old to.) Unfortunately my current PR race doesn’t exist anymore so I have to find another one.
I have registered for two more half marathons before the end of the year (Girls Weekends away for both):
- October 1 – Wineglass
- November 12 – Las Vegas
I may squeeze in one or two more. Who knows?
For now, I’m treasuring this memory:
Happy Running! Ever wonder how you got your PR?