Obviously you may want to be successful at both.
But which is more important to you? Speed or Endurance?
Which distance race do you prefer? 5k or Half Marathon/Marathon/Ultra?
I’ve struggled with this issue for years.
For a while, I think I preferred 5ks for the following reasons:
- Minimal training required.
- A myriad of 5k opportunities most weekends.
- Race takes up little time in your schedule.
- People of all ages, backgrounds, and abilities participate.
- I got increasingly faster and often won age group awards.
Once I started running half marathons, I started to question my preference. I still ran both …
but I was enjoying the longer races more.
- Long runs (and brunches) with friends.
- Scenic courses.
- Feeling of achievement.
- No pressure of a specific finish time.
Maybe because I feel less successful at the 5k distance. The pandemic or getting older???
Whatever the reason, currently I feel less motivated to sign up for 5ks.
That is the question.
I’m also linking up here:
Happy Running! Which do you train for – speed or endurance or both? Which type of race do you prefer – short or long or both? Please share.