The Tuesday Topic this week is: Running (and Racing) Pet Peeves
I’m pretty chill (or oblivious) and I had a hard time writing this. So I am adding Racing to my List.
- Runners who always complain that they are “SLOW.” Pace is an individual thing. We are ALL “slow” if we compare ourselves to a faster runner.
- Runners who run alone because they don’t run at the same PACE as someone else. Running solo is a great option. BUT you can be flexible if you want to have company. Believe me, you can run a MUCH longer distance if you are not alone. Just compromise on pace or intervals for one run. It’s worth it in the end.
- Runners who are always late to group runs. And if you need to warm-up, you should just arrive earlier. Of course, this is especially bothersome when it is very cold or very hot.
- Runners whom you pass on a road or trail and do not respond to a wave or a “hello.” IMO, that’s just rude but maybe they are just “in the zone.”
- RDs who advertise a race as being flat and fast. We know that means it has hills. Just be honest and post an elevation chart.
- Races that start late.
- Races that do not have adequate parking.
- Races without enough water stops or enough water/volunteers at those stops.
- Races where the course is not adequately marked. The course should have course marshals at all the turns.
- Large races with 10 year Age Group awards rather than 5.
- Races that give unisex shirts as swag. In fact, I would rather have the option not to get a shirt and pay less. Even better, a different kind of swag. We all have enough shirts.
- Expensive races without a deferral option. Injuries and family emergencies happen.
- Races without day of race packet pick-up. If someone travels to a race, it is often impossible to pick up their bib the day before.
- Long races without bag check. I always need to be able to put on warmer or cooler clothes after a race. Often my hotel or car is not nearby.
Wow, I guess I had more pet peeves that I thought lol
I’m also linking up here:
Happy Running! What are some of running or racing pet peeves? Do agree with any of mine? Please share.