This week was a mixed bag.
It started on a high note. Having just run a real race and had a mini vacay in NYC, I felt energized.
I took off a day from work this week and the weather was perfect for a run and a hike.
Things went downhill from there.
My external laptop monitor died (which is essential for my job). Not a big deal, I ordered a new one (and hooked up temporarily an old one).
But by the end of the week, I was in tears. My daughter-in-law lost the baby (at 15 weeks). No words for how devastated my family is.
Back to running. (I felt I had to share even though it’s personal because I posted in the Coffee Date that I was going to be a grandmother.)
Last Week –
- Monday – Walking around NYC in boots rather than running shoes made my feet ache so I decided to call it a rest day. It was cold and breezy so it wasn’t a hard decision.
I did keep my streak alive (I think I have one…) of taking a walk at lunch. And then a short after work before getting my nails and my errands (that got missed over the weekend) done.
- Tuesday – Another cold dreary morning. Again not tempted to walk before work. But dragged myself out at lunch for a run. I froze!!!!
After work, I was not even tempted to go outdoors for a walk or hike. I, instead, went to the mall to get in some steps (in a warm environment.)
- Wednesday – Woke up to snow showers…UGH! But the snow did stop with not much accumulated. Again, I skipped my morning walk but got out at lunch.
It was still flurrying a bit and cold but not as windy as the day before. The only thing that was cold was my feet. I wore my trail shoes since I ran on the roads and there was a lot of black ice.
No walk after work since I had a hair appt.
- Thursday – Today I had the day off from work. It was nice to be able to run in the morning. Though cold, it is my favorite time of day to run. And I had time to drive somewhere to run. I decided to go to the Crossings followed by a trip to Trader Joe’s.
I had signed up for one more NYRR virtual 5k (see pic above) so I officially completed it today. Sorta. My watch died. I started out in the park but it was slushy and icy so I continued onto a snowy trail and eventually ran in the neighborhoods.
In the afternoon, I planned to go on a hike. I went back to the Van Buren Nature Trails (that I had visited a few weeks ago.) My friend Jan agreed to meet me there.
Tonight was the first night of Chanukah so I lit the candles. No gifts exchanged here.
- Friday – No running today. But got in a few chilly walks.
The longer one was done with a friend after work around the outdoor mall.
- Saturday – Back on track with my Saturday Long Runs. This week, we returned to the Nisky Bike Path. We hoped to get it done (including brunch) before the predicted rain.
I got there early to run 4 miles with Karen and then ran 6 more with my other friends. 10 done for day. No reason to run this many miles since I have no idea when my next half will be but what the hell? It definitely felt harder than usual. I think that skipping the 10 miler (in lieu of a 5k + 15 mile walk) had an effect. I need the consistency, I guess.
- Sunday – My traditional hiking day. Since I’ve never hiked in the winter, I was leery of going anywhere where there would be ice or snow. I guess that is pretty limiting to any of the pretty mountain hikes.
I decided on Amy’s Park up north since there were several easy trails to choose from.
It was rainy on my drive up but happily it stopped and turned out to be a very nice day. The trail was quit wet and muddy so I hiked the easy yellow (in both directions). I was alittle disappointed in the trails being out and back,
Since it was along drive, I decided I wanted to do more hiking. I stopped at a preserve but realized that it was way too icy so I continued into town. I passed Up Yonda Farms and took a chance that there would be nice trails there. What a treasure!! I’ve been boating for 15 years there and never visited these trails.
It was so nice that I stopped for ice cream (egg nogg – tis the season).
Nothing like a day out in nature to take you mind off things.
This Coming Week –
- Monday – morning off, run
- Tuesday – DAY OFF, run, hike, mall walk with BFF
- Wednesday – rest day, funeral for my grandson
- Thursday – run
- Friday – rest day, walk with friends
- Saturday – Long Run
- Sunday – rest day, hiking, college ZOOM
I encourage you to do the same. Grab the graphic, drop your link on the host blogs and play along! Please be sure to always comment on the HOST’s blogs, as well as visit and comment on as many other blogs as you can.
Happy Running! How is your running going? Have the winter temps hit? How is your holiday decorating and shopping going? Does being out in nature cheer you up? Please share.