It’s Friday so I’m also linking up with Fairytales and Fitness for the Friday Five linkup! Join in! Don’t forget to link back to your hostess and visit some other bloggers.
I must say that I HATE the cold. I much prefer running in the heat but living in the Northeast, the cold arrives too soon and lasts too long. And although, it’s ONLY December 11 (and not even officially winter) …it’s COLD!!
I think that about sums things up.
So here are my top tips to make it through running in the winter:
1. Layers keep you warm but remember not to dress too warmly. If it is 20 degrees, dress for 40. The bottom layer should be breathable. You will sweat no matter how cold it is. My middle layer is usually a fleece vest and for the outside layer, I wear a windbreaker or light jacket.
The infographic below is very helpful:
or use this tool that will suggest what to wear, based on the info you input – http://www.runnersworld.com/what-to-wear
2. But wear enough to stay warm. I always wear tights with a skirt over them (keeps my butt warm). I wear wool socks, gloves/mittens and a beanie. My head, hands and feet are what gets cold first.
3. If you run when it is dark (yes it gets dark so early), wear light colors, carry a flashlight or wear a head lamp and run where there are lights.
4. If it is snowing, wear Yak Trax or put screws in your shoe bottoms, go slower and watch for icy patches.
5. Don’t worry about fashion.
I usually care what I wear in the warmer months. But in the winter, not so much. I try not to spend much money on winter running clothes. I wear old race shirts and vests and jackets from Target. I buy gloves at Dollar Store. I use $1 cut off knee socks as arm warmers.
The important thing is to just get out and RUN! And talk your friends into doing the same. Misery loves company LOL.
Happy Running! Do you like running during the cold weather months? Any other tips? Has it already gotten cold where you live?