I haven’t had a day off from work (besides the weekend) since February.
So I took off this past Monday in hopes that the weather would cooperate and I could do something fun.
And I DID!!!
Last Week –
- Monday -As I mentioned above, I took the day off from work. I was hoping to spend the day hiking with my friend but she could not go so that will have to wait until my next Monday off in August.
Instead I decided that I would sleep over in Bolton Landing on our boat the night before. That way I could go for a run along Lake George first thing in the morning and afterward do some hiking up that way.
I forgot how much I missed waking up with a view of the lake and running on those familiar routes (I used to do it most weekends before I ran with a running group on Saturdays.)
My favorite hike (Pinnacle Pt) was closed due to Covid 19 so I chose two longer and more challenging ones – Cat and Thomas. I’ve done them before but several years ago I believe.
I thought I’d do both but had a change of heart and decided to just do the longer one (Cat) since it had a better view. It was much much longer than I thought….
I met a bunch of older women at the top and they were heading over to Thomas so I’d thought well, I’ll should do that too.
Whoa!! The most technical trail I’ve even done…up and done cliffs… for several miles!!!
Well, it turns out these older women were 46ers (meaning they’ve climbed all the high peaks in the Adirondacks). Anyway, they said that they knew a shortcut down the mountain to my car so I followed them. Not a shortcut…an unmaintained WRONG trail that took much longer!!!
Hello. 15 miles for the day!! Did I mention it was in the mid-90s. But actually it was shady and breezy and perfect hiking weather in the mountains. That hike took me about 5 1/2 hours!!
It was sooo warm when I was done that I went swimming at the beach and then headed home for dinner.
- Tuesday – Back to work. Of course when you take a day off, you pay for it the next day. No time to walk before work or during lunch. But I did get out for a few minutes in the afternoon.
Not as warm as previous days but boy, the humidity was high!
After work, I was tempted to go for a run but I promised myself a rest day after my hiking adventure the day before. Instead I set off for the preserves.
I passed a second preserve on the way home so I decided to stop.
- Wednesday – I started the day with a short walk in the ‘hood
I had plans after work so I had to squeeze a run during lunch. Hotter than I thought…. These noon runs are not the best idea…they never go well.
After work, my running group had our weekly trail walk scheduled. With no rain in sight, more runners showed up this week. We chose last week’s location – Pine Bush Trails. Believe it or not, we did get rained on but it felt good!
- Thursday – I had to get my run in before work since I would not be likely to do it later. It was a beautiful morning.
I listened to Ali on the Run’s interview with Emily Halnon (my friend who recently died’s daughter) and it made me sad and inspired at the same time. This is the link if you want to read about it or take a listen: https://www.aliontherunblog.com/2020/07/29/ali-on-the-run-show-267-emily-halnon/
I miss Andrea A LOT. She was an amazing lady and a great friend.
Her daughter is running 453 miles (in record time) this Saturday in her honor and to raise money for rare cancers. That is 45-70 miles a day for 9 days!!!!!
This is the link if you wish to donate: https://www.gofundme.com/f/running-the-oregon-pct-for-brave-like-gabe
I also was able to squeeze in a walk at lunch (to finish listening to that podcast).
After work, I went to my re-scheduled dinner out with my tennis friends. It was our first one in an restaurant (though one with patio dining).
- Friday – Rest day Friday as usual. A few walks here and there…
and after work, I met two former co-workers for a long walk on the rail trail.
- Saturday – LONG RUN DAY. We all returned to Zim Smith at various times for various distances and all gathered after for brunch from Leah’s. I ran 3 solo. Then Alyssa, Deirdre and Jan arrived. I ran intervals with Jan and Deirdre while Alyssa ran ahead.
We probably spent more time eating and chatting after than running. I think there were 10 of us. So fun!!
Knowing that I would probably be a slug the next day, I went for an after dinner walk.
- Sunday – Boating on Lake George. Although it was predicted to rain in the am then storm in the afternoon, we decided to ignore the forecast and go up to the lake. Glad we did since there was NO rain…just an occasional cloud. So relaxing. Love my lake get-away.
This Coming Week –
- Monday –run
- Tuesday – rest day
- Wednesday – run, trail walk
- Thursday – run
- Friday – rest day, walk with friends
- Saturday – LONG RUN
- Sunday – rest day, boating
I encourage you to do the same. Grab the graphic, drop your link on the host blogs and play along! Please be sure to always comment on the HOST’s blogs, as well as visit and comment on as many other blogs as you can.
Happy Running! How is your running going? How are you surviving the summer heat? Please share.