This is the week all half marathoners look forward to. The Taper. However it was also the week that it was TOO COLD to run outdoors. I did have my first “real” race of the year (the others were just fun free ones) and didn’t freeze to death.
Last week –
- Monday – It was cold and windy as usual but the sun was out for at least the beginning of my run. It now stays lighter longer each week. I ran the only place I know with clear paths and then I met my BFF for a walk around the mall.
- Tuesday – After running 3 days in a row, it was time to rest the old legs. A snow storm was predicted as well and I had to work late.
- Wednesday – After a long work day, I planned to run at Ualbany but…
Nope even too cold for me…the wind was brutal.
- Thursday – Since I was going into work late, I thought about a before work run. Then I looked at the temps and quickly changed my mind.
Since I had a hair appointment after work, this almost turned into a rest day for the THIRD day in a row. But I bit the bullet went to UAlbany at night for a run. It was cold. No lie but no wind and I didn’t freeze to death.
- Friday – And the polar vortex continues..
I could have run after work since I hadn’t run Tues or Wed. but I didn’t want to run the day before a race so I declared it another rest day. THREE days of NO RUNNING —not sick or injured. I.Hate.Winter. This week turned into a real taper.
At least I can wear the reversible hat I finally finished knitting.
- Saturday -Today I ran the Polar Cap Run, one of my favorite 4 mile races. Only one of my Sole Sisters, Barbara, was game enough to accompany me on the 1 hour drive to run this race. In addition to running the race, I was planning to connect with my VT friend, Andrea. The temp was 2 degrees when we started but we survived the cold and the HILLS and both of us even won our age groups.
- Sunday -Originally I thought that today would be a rest day because I would have, as usual, added more miles on to the Polar Cap Run and call it “long run completed.” But it was too cold!! So I contacted Judy and I accompanied her on 8 of her 12 miles. Win. Win. And it was a balmy 32 degrees!
This Coming Week – Race Week!
- Monday – 4 miles
- Tuesday – 3 miles
- Wednesday – rest day – pack
- Thursday – rest day, early flight to West Palm Beach, FL, drive to Delray Beach
- Friday – 4 miles, drive to Hobo Sound
- Saturday – rest day, drive to Melbourne (packet pick up), drive to Sebastien
- Sunday – Publix Florida Half Marathon
Happy Running! How is your running going? What’s new with you? Any big races on the horizon? Please share.