Every Friday, three DC area bloggers Mar at Mar On the Run, Cynthia at You Signed Up For What?! and Courtney from Eat Pray Run, DC to host the Friday Five linkup. Anyone can join with their own Friday Five post (yes, it must be a Friday Five!!) They encourage you to visit other blogs on the linkup, comment, share and engage!
This week, the theme is Favorite Winter Activities:
I’ll say it up front. I hate the cold!!
If I didn’t run, I would never go outside.
I don’t ski, snowboard, ice skate, sled, snow shoe…nada!
Keeping that in mind, here are my favorites:
1. Running – I sign up for races & winter half marathons to make me get out the door. I hate the treadmills so unless it’s impossible, I run outside.
2. Tennis (Indoors) – I play doubles once a week. I have a contract on Tuesdays at 6-7:30 pm. The women I play with are wonderful and we always go out to dinner afterwards.
3. Knitting – I am not very experienced but I have made socks and hats. I find it very relaxing especially in the evening by the fire. And you can multi-task – knit, chat & watch TV.
4. Cooking (on the weekends) – I love to make soups, stews, quiches & chili. Since during the week, I work and am busy every evening, I do my cooking for the week on Saturday or Sunday (my non- long run day.)
5. Reading – I’ve always loved to read. I read every night before I go to sleep. I still go the library and take out real books. When I am traveling, I’ll read on my iPad.
Loved these!!! any recommendations?
My hubby hates to shop and besides he is an awful gift giver. He always buys me jewelry that I don’t need or like. I used to keep it but now I just return it and pick out something else.
I, on the other hand, love to pick out gifts and always seem to know how to buy the perfect gifts.
So this year, I bought my own gifts – a wall hanger for my medals (my DIY one broke), new bands for my Fitbit and some more SkirtSports items. I think I may even wrap them and open them on Christmas morning.
don’t you love this one?
If I write that I got the best gifts ever, you’ll know why.
I am trying get over that pitiful performance on my last half marathon (but it’s hard when friends are still asking you how it went) by thinking ahead to the next one.
On February 7, I will try to redeem myself – that is if it is not warm , windy and humid in Florida. But I plan to have a better attitude about the whole thing and just enjoy running it. I know the course is awesome and I can’t wait to spend 6 days in Florida with friends (while it is freezing here).
March 2013 in Sarasota. looking for sunshine this trip.
But I am still mulling over what I could have done differently so I don’t have a repeat performance. Is this normal? How long does it take to forget a race?
I am disappointed that for the 2nd year in a row I didn’t get into the lottery for the NYC Half Marathon. I really wanted to run that race. If only I were faster, (I think 2:05 finish time), I could automatically get in.
Any suggestions for a late March, early April half marathon???
The other spring halfs that I was considering are Brooklyn Half Marathon and the Steel Rail Half Marathon. I don’t have the time or money to fly all over the place (& my hubby wouldn’t go) so I like to pick ones that are nearby. They are both May 21, 2016.
Normally that would be doable and fall right after my tennis vacation in Naples. But this year, exams where I work don’t end until May 15 so my tennis vacation will be later and I will be away during those races.
love running but love these ladies more
Only for a second (sorry tennis ladies), I thought about bailing. But I love my friends and now, my hopes lie with the VCM Relay. I hope AJH is lucky again this year.
May 29, 2016
My sweet tooth is going crazy. Christmas cookies!! They’re everywhere!! I can’t stop. I need a support group.
Happy Running! What are some of your favorite winter activities? Anything to Runfess?