Well, I got back late Wednesday night from my annual TENNIS vacation in Naples Florida.
The schedule was that every morning we play doubles for 1.5 hours and then have a tennis lesson for 1.5 hours.
Did I run?
Yes! I made it a priority to do so.
In order to run, I would skip part of the doubles play and run. After my run, I would change my clothes and join them to play. After playing we would have our lesson.
After the first 2 days, I realized that it was faster to run in my tennis clothes and have someone bring my racket & shoes to the court.
Yes! 5 times.
- Thursday before tennis that got rained out – 3 miles halted by rain in the middle
- Friday before tennis – 3 miles again
- Saturday before tennis – 3 miles barely
- Monday before tennis – 2.5 miles
- Tuesday before tennis – 2 miles
I did not run Sunday since we were going to Longboat Key to visit friends and play tennis. I did not run on Wednesday since we moved our tennis lesson to an earlier time.
Were they good runs?
Nope. None were.
It was very humid on the first few runs and of course, much warmer than I was used to. Then it got even warmer. It was tough to breathe and run. My running got to be walking/running and slower and slower.
I also found for the first time that I was missing tennis. Everyone else was playing tennis. I wanted to be with them And I wanted to be warmed up before our lesson.
So my runs got shorter.
Did I enjoy them?
I loved the scenery – the trees, flowers,etc. I loved the sunshine and even the heat.
During each run I took a different route. I ran around the neighborhoods of World Tennis Center (WTC). I ran around the pool area and tennis courts. I ran outside the WTC along the main road in one direction and then another day in the other direction.
What will I do differently next year?
I could get up earlier. But it’s hard when you go out to dinner late and you are hanging out with friends after that.
I could run every other day. But you never know in Florida when it will rain. You have to take advantage of the beautiful weather.
I could just play tennis but I would have been upset with myself for NOT running.
I could run after tennis but I know I would have been too tired and would be making others wait for me to go to the beach.
So next year, I will probably do nothing different from this year.
Views from my Naples runs:
Suggestions for running while on vacation:
- Be prepared. Bring clothes for all weather conditions.
- Schedule your runs. If you leave it to chance, it won’t happen.
- Be flexible. Sometimes other persons’ needs or desires will come before your running.
- Find a scenic route. Pretty views make all the difference.
- Lower your expectations. Distance & speed goals will probably not happen.
- Register for a race in the area, if possible. Then you will definitely run.
- Have fun.
Happy Running! Do you run while on vacation?