Since it is Thursday, I’m linking up today with Amanda for Thinking Out Loud Thursday.
Here’s what I’m thinking…
- You take people for granted when you don’t see them face-to-face.
I have mentioned many times that I joined the IRUN4 program and I was matched up with John Anthony 2 1/2 years ago. He suffers from mitochrondial (and other) disease and cannot go to school, run and do the things that normal kids his age can do.
In the beginning, I posted photos on the IRUN4 FB site every time I ran. I dedicated all my miles to JA.
I do send him race shirts and Christmas presents.
I also still run for him. But I have gotten lazier and lazier and now I pretty much only post pictures when I race. Luckily that is very often.
Just Tuesday, his mom posted this in FB and tagged me:
Mom: JA!! We are so blessed. He is a fighter. I can’t believe in just 3 days HE will be 12!! What!?!?! Yep. Our Mito warrior will be 12. We are so blessed and we don’t take it for granted either.
Me: I will run 12 miles for JA on Saturday.
Mom: JA says awesome and he doesn’t need to wish you good luck because you are the best but he does send you two thumbs up and big thanks. JA loves you. Side note. Notice the shirt?? Lol. HE loves his shirts. The ones you send him from your races mean the world to him!
I need to post more often. I do think about him a lot but unless I post, he doesn’t know it.
This is a great program. Check it out here:
Have you heard of IRUN4? Do you participate?
- Sometimes work is just work. That’s what is usually is for me. (Teaching was different. I loved teaching!)
This year, the law school where I work has decided to focus on being healthy.
In March, we had a Heart Healthy Challenge.
In April, we are participating in the Million Mile Month. You just log your miles & other activities to win prizes. My miles will automatically sync from my FitBit and I can also add in other non-walking/running activities like yoga, tennis, etc.)
So April 1, we had a fun kick-off event.
Here are some of the other activities that have been planned:
- Try Hula Hooping for Fitness, Wednesdays at noon in the gym.
- Play Beach Ball Volleyball (think volleyball with a beach ball and no rules-just fun) on Friday, 4/8. Drop in any time between 12:00 and 1:30 pm.
- Sign up for the Annual Communications Office 3-on-3 Post-March Madness Law School Tourney. A friendly but competitive co-ed basketball tournament. You do not need a team to sign up.
- Walk to the park and have a picnic lunch instead of eating in your office. Date: TBA
- Join the Albany Law School Team for the Albany County Bar Association 5K Law Day Run on Thursday, May 12th at The Crossings in Colonie. Run or walk. Kids welcome! Sign up by 4/15 for the lowest registration fee.
So guess who is in charge of recruiting runners for the 5k? Yup, ME!!
If you work, are your co-workers into fitness?
- I not going to whine about the fact that it is still winter here! Or maybe I am.
How’s the weather where you live?
- I signed up for a 10k this weekend. I am thinking of switching to the 5k. The 10K is hilly. So it would be good practice for my upcoming hilly half in 2 weeks. But it will be part of my 12 mile training run. I like my training runs to be flat and easy (to avoid injury.) I am too competitive to slow down in a race. So I may do the 5k and then run 3 more miles. After that, hopefully, I will have company for the remaining 6 miles. Or I may grin and bear it and run the 10k and run 6 more miles on the Zim Smith Trail.
Happy Running! What’s up with you this Thursday?