After last weekend’s cold rainy weather, it was nice to have more seasonal temps.
with my virtual running friends,
I went on my first group hike of 2021
I’d say that it was a pretty good week (even with all the rain and without a race.)
- Monday – It was Memorial Day and so I had the day off from work. Normally we would be boating on Lake George. But the weather was cold and dreary and the sun didn’t come out until 4 pm.
I felt well enough to run but decided to rest the feet and do some exploring.
First I headed to see some local falls. Last time I saw them, the Viewing Park was not open. This time you could walk across and down and get a closer look.
Needing to stretch my legs more, I walked around town… lots of history here.
Since I wasn’t too far away, I was curious about Van Schaick Mansion so I drove there.
And then on my way home, I stopped to walk around the gardens at Ten Broeck Mansion.
- Tuesday – It was cool but the sun was shining so I had to get out and see how my feet felt. They did ok for a quick lunch run in the neighborhood.
I always listen to podcasts when I run alone. However, by the time I get home, I have forgotten what I learned. So I decided to stop and record a note.
Today’s nugget (as Nicole DeBoom calls it) is from AMR: Your body is an instrument not an ornament. Focus on what it can do, not what it looks like.
After work, I was back on the rail trail for a long walk with a friend. We chose a different direction and were happily surprised with this view.
- Wednesday – National Running Day! So of course, I had to run!! Again, I chose to do it at lunch in the neighborhood but a different route from Tuesday.
Today’s nugget is again from AMR: A real runner doesn’t have to do anything, You should do whatever fires you up. And it’s different for each person.
I also celebrated the day with a purchase:
So after work, I was free to go hiking and hoping that the forecasted rain would hold off. It was just Jan and I and we chose a newly opened local trail called Normans Kill Ravines. Unfortunately as soon as we arrived, it started to rain and it continued raining hard the whole hike. And the 3.5 mile loop (due to lack of trail markers) turned into almost 5 miles.
- Thursday – Not running on Monday always messes up my schedule. I hate to run three days in a row. And so it was a struggle but I got it done.
Today’s nugget (from a guest on Run This World): I’m not a naturel athlete. I’ll never be fast. I do not train to to be a better runner. I go out to run because I want to get better at sucking at something. (Can anyone identify?)
I wasn’t sure if the thunderstorms would cancel my post work walk or not with my friend. But they did not and the rain arrived much later.
Afterward, I rushed to my friend’s for a charity Scrabble tournament.
- Friday – Finally a rest day. It started out with rain but then it stopped and I actually took out my bike at lunch. Ugh! So hot and humid (what a change in the weather). Still not a fan of biking but maybe if I left the neighborhood?
I was also happy to be back playing mah jongg on Friday nights.
- Saturday – Reunited with my Sole Sisters (after a few weeks off) for a long run. We decided to meet at the Zim Smith bike path and run our usual individual distances and then meet after for brunch outside Leah’s. I ran 1 mile before and then carpooled with Barbara. Then I met Sherry, Stan and Judy for 7 more. It was so nice to have the whole gang together again.
- Sunday – Summer arrived. What happened to spring? Hot Hot Hot.
Not sure what we’re planning…Boating? Gardening? Appliance shopping??
It turns out that it was hiking at Up Yonda Farms.
Hope you are staying cool.
This Coming Week on the Run–
- Monday – DAY OFF, long hike with a friend in the Catskills
- Tuesday – run, walk with friends
- Wednesday – Ice Cream Run (with friends)
- Thursday – run, walk with friends
- Friday – rest day, mah jongg
- Saturday – Rabbit Ramble 4 mile race
- Sunday – rest day, boating or hiking
This Coming Week on the Blog –
- Tuesday – Speed or Endurance?
- Friday – Upper Arm Exercises
I encourage you to do the same. Grab the graphic, drop your link on the host blogs and play along! Please be sure to always comment on the HOST’s blogs, as well as visit and comment on as many other blogs as you can.
Happy Running! How is your running going? Any in-person races planned? Have you been experiencing summer temps where you live? Any vacations planned? Please share.