I was away with my girlfriends in Naples, Fla most of this TWO week period. We had perfect weather and loads of fun.
Then I came home to lots of laundry and to celebrate my birthday (on Mother’s Day.)
On an insane impulse, I also registered for a race on Saturday.
- Monday – I was planning on squeezing in a run at lunch in the neighborhood but an emergency vet appt in the morning took away my lunch time (Champ had an infected bite wound but he is now fine).
Instead after work, I drove back to Washington Park to run around the tulips
and do some hill work. Change of plans, I ran around town first and ended up at the tulips.
I just took pics, skipped the hills and walked back to my car.
- Tuesday – Today I had time for a run during lunch. I was expecting much but trying to front load my runs in case they do not get done in Florida.
After work, I skipped my long walk with friends in order to finish packing and to get to bed early.
- Wednesday – I took a very early flight (6 am) to Florida. Once we arrived, we picked up the rented van and drove to Naples. We got settled in our villas, ate lunch, went grocery shopping and then hung out at the pool. I was glad that I ran Monday and Tuesday since there was a lot of sitting happening today.
- Thursday – I got up early and excitedly got to play tennis with my friends. I guess it’s like riding a bike. It felt great to be out there. Afterward, while they were taking a tennis lesson, I went for a run. Whoa. Heat and humidity! Quite an adjustment.
Next on today’s agenda was the beach followed by a delicious dinner in French restaurant. A perfect day to be followed by many perfect days.
- Friday – Today I went for a pre-tennis run. Still hot and humid. I decided that I would just happily endure the heat and humidity each morning.
Again we went to the beach. And after, we all went out to a scrumptious dinner. (Do you see a pattern?)
- Saturday – Things were becoming routine.
I ran (if you could call it “running”) while my friends took their tennis lesson, then I played tennis with them and afterward I went to the beach. It was hot, sunny and humid but I loved it. Tonight’s dinner was Italian and we went to the theater after.
- Sunday – I started the day with an early morning walk. No tennis or running since we decided on a road trip. We drove 1 1/2 hours north to Sarasota. First we took a boat ride on the Myakka River
and then went on a nature and canopy walk in the park.
Next we visited Selby Gardens where in addition to the beautiful flowers, there was an exhibit of Lichtenstein’s version of Monet.
We ended our visit with the St Armand Circle shops and a seafood dinner.
- Monday – For the next few days, we played tennis first thing in the morning and then I ran during their lesson. The runs became more difficult since the temps were higher and the sun stronger. I coped by adding in more walk breaks.
Again we went to the beach and out to dinner. But tonight we skipped dessert and had it back home during our book club.
- Tuesday – Today was pretty similar to Monday. Tennis, slow sweaty run, beach.
Since it was our last Florida dinner, we had it at the Ritz while watching the sunset.
- Wednesday – Last day in sunny Florida. Tennis, a slow run…
followed by relaxing by the pool and dinner at the airport. Our flights were uneventful (for a change.)
- Thursday – Home sweet home but missing my friends and the warm sunshine. I don’t often run several days in a row but my Florida running was more walking and I also wanted to check out the tulips in Washington Park before the weekend. The weather was cool and breezy so perfect for running.
This past weekend was have been peak for the tulips but they were still gorgeous.
After work, I resumed my walk on the rail trail with friends.
- Friday – Finally a real rest day. The only thing I did was take a walk with a friend after work.
- Saturday – On a whim, I signed up for a race – Prospect Mountain Road Race – 5.67 miles up a mountain (over 1600 ft elevation gain). Crazy, right? Yes it was hard, very hard but I finished unscathed, won 3rd in my age group and even enjoyed it.
Afterward, I drove up to Bolton Landing and walked around for a while (I had planned to run but was too beat).
As as soon I got home, I had to rush out as my stepson and his wife had invited us out to dinner to celebrate my birthday and Mother’s Day.
- Sunday – MY BIRTHDAY! No big celebration planned. I thought I might run 6.8k but decided that I would go for a hike or two instead.
I am lucky to have so many choices within an hour radius. I decided that I needed water views and waterfalls. And I hit the jackpot.
On the way home, I stopped to hike a shorter trail.
Believe it not mot, I accidently walked 4.2 miles or 6.8K!!!
Later we will stop by my MIL’s to wish her a happy Mother’s Day.
This Coming Week on the Run –
- Monday – run, walk
- Tuesday – rest day, walk with friends
- Wednesday –run, walk
- Thursday – run, walk
- Friday – rest day, bike, walk
- Saturday – Long Run
- Sunday – rest day – walk, hike
This Coming Week on the Blog –
- Tuesday– My Worst Racing Outfits
- Friday – Tips for Running During Vacations
I encourage you to do the same. Grab the graphic, drop your link on the host blogs and play along! Please be sure to always comment on the HOST’s blogs, as well as visit and comment on as many other blogs as you can.
Happy Running! How is your running going? Any in-person races? Is it warming up where you live? How did you spend Mother’s Day? Please share.