Well, January has ended. We have a new President. Many people have gotten their first COVID vaccine. My hubby has even received his 2nd dose (No reaction!!)
My running has gotten off to a decent start. I’m on my way (barring injury) to 1000 miles for the year.
Despite the cold, snow and ice, I’ve continued hiking. I have already visited FOUR new trails. To quote Wendy “Nature is my anti-depressant.”
Last Week –
- Monday – Another cold morning but with possible snow on the way tomorrow, I knew I needed to get in a run at lunch. The sun was a welcome surprise, the wind not so much. I decided to repeat the route from last week – drive to park n ride, run to the HS track, run around the track and then run back to my car.
And after work, I checked out a local trail before it got dark. A perfect way to end the day.
Also I got my swag for Saturday’s Virtual 15K. I wish I was running the real race but even without the pandemic, none are scheduled anymore in NY.
- Tuesday – A busy work day but I did get in a 45 min bike ride during lunch.
After work, I had a needed hair appt (2 weeks later than usual.) And I drove to it in a snowstorm (The things we women do…)
- Wednesday – I woke up to snow (about 5-6 inches.)
so I waited until lunch to go out for a run. I wore my trail shoes and navigated slowly the streets in my neighborhood. No problem (except for my driveway which wasn’t plowed yet.)
After work, I met my friend for our usual outside walk.
- Thursday – Today I took the day off. (Just needing to use up some vacation time). I was able to do grocery shopping, get my nails done and go for a morning run. I ran in the streets of town since obviously the trails were still snow-covered.
and then an afternoon hike. You know that I am obsessed with water falls so I chose Barbersville Falls. There was quite a few inches of snow on the Waterfalls trail. Underneath the snow was ice. Going down wasn’t as scary as trying to go back up (Next time, do not do this without spikes!!) Eek! Then I hiked the Ridge Trail. Much longer loop as not as scary.
I ended the day with a walk with friends.
- Friday – Rest day from running. I almost considered going for a walk.
Instead I took a 45 minute bike ride at lunch.
- Saturday – Long Run Saturday. I had planned to do my virtual Hot Chocolate 15k with Sherry and virtually with Deirdre and Kim. But first, 2.7 miles (because I never got in 12 miles last Saturday.) It was extremely cold again but not as windy as last time. And there was sun!! I started at 10 am and Sherry met me at 10:30. We had to return to the Crossings due to our recent snowfall and ran around the nearby neighborhoods. It was sub zero with the wind chill but not as bad as I thought and it was nice to have company.
I guess my painful feet are ready for another half marathon.
After my hot chocolate in the hot tub, I spent some time on my knitting. Just too cold to venture outside again.
- Sunday – Another COLD day. I started with a 40 min. ride on George.
And then off to the trails in search of peace and quiet and a waterfall. Sanders Preserve surprisingly was one of my favorite trails so far. Miles of trails on packed snow, not slippery at all and so peaceful. There was a waterfall but I couldn’t figure out how to get down to it. I am going back!
I’m amazed at how much my succulents are loving winter. This is the first winter of my obsession. I love plants but once I bought one succulent, I got addicted (and none have died 🙂 )
This Coming Week –
- Monday – run, walk
- Tuesday – rest day, bike, walk with friends
- Wednesday – run, walk with BFF
- Thursday – run, walk with friends
- Friday – rest day, bike, walk
- Saturday – LONG RUN, walk
- Sunday – rest day, bike, walk/hike
I encourage you to do the same. Grab the graphic, drop your link on the host blogs and play along! Please be sure to always comment on the HOST’s blogs, as well as visit and comment on as many other blogs as you can.
Happy Running! How is your running going? Doing any virtual races? Are you venturing outdoors in the sub zero temps? Any knitters out there? How about succulents? Please share.