Since today is Tuesday, I’m linking up with these wonderful ladies:
Today’s Topic is: Favorite Local Race
This is an easy one for me. It’s the only race that I’ve run every year since I started running. This year will my 10th time!!!!
Here are some of the reasons why I love this race and why I run it every year:
- It is ALL women – all ages – all sizes – veterans – newbies – elites – walkers
- It is a real USATF race with Olympic runners in it. (Joan Benoit Samuelson runs it most years.)
- It feels so good to be a part of all the excitement.
- The results are printed in the local newspaper and even though I finish around 2000, I am happy if I finish in the top half.
- I always meet someone I know and someone new. Last year, I even met the mayor.
- Running it in 2008 made realize that I actually was a runner.
- Being part of other runners’ first 5k in 2010 made me so proud.
- 2011 was my FRW PR year. Maybe I’ll PR again?
- Finishing it in 2012 (after serious ankle surgery) helped me believe that I could be a runner again.
- I broke my foot at the beginning of the race in 2013 and still gutted out a finish under 30 minutes!
- In 2014, I ran as part of a team to raise money for a former student who was diagnosed with breast cancer. It made the race even more meaningful.
- In 2015 & 2016, I participated in the Freihofer Training Challenge Group. (And I will again this year.) It was fun being part of a group.
- You run around Washington Park.
- There is a lot of crowd support along the whole course.
- It ends with a downhill 🙂
- Everyone finishes with a smile.
- They give you a free box of Freihofer chocolate chip cookies and a loaf of bread
- Maybe I’ll make the newspapers again.. (I have several times!)
This 5k race is held on the first Saturday in June. So if you live near Albany, NY, come run it with me and 3,000 other awesome women runners!
Happy Running! Do you have a favorite local race?