Planks are probably the best all-around abs exercise. (Click HERE to read about their benefits.)
Check out this video for simple tips on how to check your form—and get better results faster!
Here’s how to do the basic plank:
- Get in the pushup position, only put your forearms on the ground instead of your hands. Your elbows should line up directly underneath your shoulders. Toes on the ground.
- Squeeze your glutes and tighten your abdominals.
- Keep a neutral neck and spine.
- Create a straight, strong line from head to toes
- Hold that position (for as long as you can and then some)
Things to Remember:
- Don’t let your hips sag down to the ground. Sagging hips makes the exercise initially easier, but it’s not a plank and it defeats the purpose of the exercise.
- Look down at the ground. This is a good prompt for maintaining a neutral neck position.
- When your form begins to suffer, pull the plug. You’re only benefiting from the plank by actually doing the plank.
Here is a great post about Planks for Runners.
I try to do them whenever I remember. Right now, I am trying to make them part of my daily morning routine.
Happy Running! Do do planks?